Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Writing and Art the Images Overlap

Writing and art have been two of my saving graces.

Most of my known artwork has images impacted by the many levels of life on Australia's Gold Coast.

I have just been looking through my photos to see if I did paint any works that depict my experience of Sydney as portrayed in Contrite Hearts and all I could find was one.

A twinkling mysterious city of the night, dark but not gloomy with the promise of hope depicted in the brightly colored window flowers.

A friend has just called in to say how much she could relate to the characters in this book. She also lived in Sydney in the eighties.

It set me thinking how many others were entranced by the seductiveness of Sydney's glittering promise to also find its dark unexpected underbelly.

More on Contrite Hearts